AFP Fact Sheet
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. Founded in 1960, AFP advances philanthropy through its 30,000 members in 233 chapters throughout the world.
So that it can promote stewardship, donor trust and effective and ethical fundraising, AFP:
- Promotes consistent and high standards of professional practice to ensure donor trust and guard against abuses that can occur in the fundraising process.
- Requires members to comply with a Code of Ethical Principles and Standards that is designed to provide concrete guidelines for fundraising professionals in philanthropic organizations. The code is underscored with an enforcement process managed by the AFP Ethics Committee.
- Was instrumental in creating and maintaining A Donor Bill of Rights, a document that outlines what donors have the right to expect from charitable organizations to which they contribute.
- Is an original founder of and current participating organization in a worldwide certification program through Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) International. The CFRE credential, held by more than 4,000 fundraising professionals, verifies experience and knowledge of fundraising and philanthropy. AFP also provides the Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive (ACFRE) credential for senior professionals.
- Provides educational programs about fundraising, including the annual International Conference on Fundraising, the largest gathering of fundraising professionals in the world; the Hemispheric Congress on Fundraising—Latin America; First Course in Fundraising; CFRE Review Course, The Fundamentals of Fundraising Course and AFP Webconferences.
- Provides information about philanthropy through its Fundraising Resource Center, which houses a comprehensive collection of books, periodicals, speeches and audio/visual materials on fundraising and the nonprofit sector.
- Supports legislation and regulations to encourage philanthropic giving and ethical fundraising.
- Raises public awareness and interest in philanthropy through programs such as National Philanthropy Day®, Youth in Philanthropy, and the AFP Awards for Philanthropy.
- Encourages research on fundraising and philanthropy, including the Nonprofit Research Collaborative reports offering a look at how organizations fared in their fundraising each year, the Fundraising Effectiveness Project, which seeks to help charities increase their return on fundraising investment and the yearly Compensation and Benefits Study of fundraising salaries.
- Partners with educational institutions to further the profession and philanthropy. Collaborators include the Institute of Fundraising (UK), North Park University, Tecnológico de Monterrey and Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Services to Members
- The AFP International Conference on Fundraising, held annually, draws more than 4,000 people from around the world and provides the ultimate educational and networking opportunity through the many participatory workshops, leadership forums, round tables, plenary sessions and social events. The 2014 conference will take place in San Antonio, TX, March 23-25. Visit http://afpicon.org for more information.
- AFP Publications: AFP eWire, a weekly email newsletter, provides fundraising news, tips and guidance; Public Policy Updates and Action Alerts provide up-to-date information on government relations issues and Advancing Philanthropy, a bimonthly magazine, provides practical fundraising advice and information. AFP also publishes quarterly newsletters on diversity (Kaleidoscope) and Latin American fundraising (Te Informa).
- AFP Website (www.afpnet.org) provides members with all of the latest news, information, updates and analysis from around the nonprofit sector, the fundraising profession and AFP. Through the AFP website, members can take courses online, participate in online discussions and renew their membership. Job listings can be posted at http://jobs.afpnet.org.
- The AFP Online Fundraising Resource Center provides members with topical, up-to-date fundraising research and information upon request.
- National Philanthropy Day® (Nov. 15) celebrates the extraordinary contributions of philanthropy in every community, as well as those individuals who work in the philanthropic world. More than 100 National Philanthropy Day® celebrations involving over 50,000 people are scheduled every year.
- Chapter offerings include seminars, networking events, newsletters and a host of other opportunities to learn and share fundraising expertise at the local level.
- AFP Awards honor individuals and organizations for their extraordinary efforts in philanthropy and fundraising. These include the Awards for Philanthropy:
Changing our World/Simms Awards for Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy, Ages 5-17 and Ages 18-23
Community Counselling Service (CCS) Award for Outstanding Fundraising Professional
Freeman Philanthropic Services Award for Outstanding Corporation
Award for Outstanding Philanthropist
Award for Outstanding Foundation
Award for Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser
- Other Awards, including the Barbara Marion Award for Outstanding Service to AFP, the Awards for Excellence in Fundraising, Skystone Ryan Prize for Research on Fundraising and Philanthropy, and Charles R. Stephens Excellence in Diversity Award.
- Click here to learn more about AFP Awards.
- Click here to see the current AFP Board members.