About AFP Canada
With approximately 3,500 members residing in Canada, AFP is dedicated to promoting and advancing the cause of its Canadian members. AFP supports Canadian members in 19 Chapters, and provides essential leadership to Canada’s robust charitable sector. Read more.
Latest Canada News:
• Call for Members: National Philanthropy Day (NPD) Canada Committee
• AFP Canadian Council Announces Members for 2016
• Canada: National Philanthropy Day Globe and Mail Supplement
• 2015 Leadership Academy in Kansas City
• New Horizons for Canada Accepted at the AFP Board of Directors Meeting
• Election Results Mean New Public Policy Opportunities for Philanthropy
• New Donor Bill of Rights - French version
• Fellowship in Inclusion and Philanthropy Program
• AFP Ottawa Fundraising Day—A "Dive In" Experience!
• Imagine Canada Releases Paper on Charities as an Economic Sector
• New Charity Platform/Fact Sheet Available for Chapters, Members to Highlight Sector
• AFP's Canada Council: New Chapter & Supporting Chapter Engagement
• New National Philanthropy Day Supplement from AFP & The Globe and Mail
• Canada New Horizons Context Paper: English | French
• Online National Job Posting Program Now Available
About AFP Foundation—Canada
As the philanthropic arm of AFP, the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada supports many programs and services through its highly successful Annual Fund, especially the Every Member Campaign, and other fundraising vehicles including Major Gifts, Planned Gifts and Endowments. Read more.
Free Webinar Recordings—Presented By MacKenzie Investments and the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada
• AFP Banff Compass 2015 Webcast with June Bradham: Are You Ready for a Campaign?
• Friends in High Places—Why Your Success Depends on Government Relations
• The New Regulatory Regime for Social Enterprise in Canada
• Spam Law - Recent Legislation and its Impact on Canadian Fundraisers and Charities
• Tips, Techniques and Strategies for Speaking to Donors on the Phone!
Latest AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada News:
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada is thankful to our many donors who allow us to make a difference for the fundraising profession in Canada. Please view this video (French version here) showcasing our work over the past couple of years.
• New AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada Announces 2015-2016 Officers
• New AFP’s Canadian National Scholarship Program – Apply Now
• [Infographic] AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada: Your Gift at Work
• AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada Provides Funding for Study on Responsible Investing by Charities
• Fellowship In Inclusion and Philanthropy Program Launched - Please visit our new website for more details and to apply to this exciting new program!
• AFP Foundation for Philanthropy—Canada Receives $400,000 Boost to Expand Diversity and Inclusion Efforts | La Fondation canadienne pour la philanthropie de l’AFP reçoit une subvention de 400,000 $ pour accroître les efforts en matière de diversité et d’inclusion
• Research Papers: Diverse Communities in Canada - The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration's Partnership Project—along with the AFP Ontario, Greater Toronto Chapter and AFP Ontario, Ottawa Chapter—coordinated a series of twelve workshops for fundraising professionals, donors and volunteers to develop a greater understanding of the giving traditions and charitable interests of these communities in Ontario. These are the research papers that resulted from those workshops.
• Chapter Resources - To access various reports and opportunities for your chapter through the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy - Canada, please click here.
• Canada Government Relations Tool Kit: If You Build It They Will Come
• New Research: "The New Regulatory Regime for Social Enterprise in Canada: Potential Impacts on Nonprofit Growth and Sustainability"
• Your AFP Foundation For Philanthropy In Canada Is Making A Difference!
AFP Canada Leadership Posts
AFP Canadian Council Website Welcome
by Karen Mercier, CFRE, AFP Canadian Council Chair
The AFP Canadian Council was established to support the mission and strategic objectives of AFP in Canada and includes membership from fundraising professionals from across the country. It serves to work in partnership, and not replicate, the roles and activities of the Canadian AFP Chapters and AFP International. Read more.
Mapping Out a Path to Your Future
Tania Little, CFRE, Vice Chair, Professional Advancement Division, AFP
Many fundraisers in my peer set chanced upon the profession through volunteerism or learned “on the job” how to adapt previous skills acquired through other jobs. Whether choosing at a post-secondary level or coming into a second career; there are a myriad of education and training opportunities available to facilitate the development of highly effective and ethical professionals in the social profit sector. As an AFP member, you are part of a network of 30,000 professional fundraisers, ready to help you along the journey. Read more.
AFP Canada Research and Resources
REPORT: 2014 Fundraising Technology Trends Study
(Dec. 10, 2014) In this recent report released by Find Accounting Software, 142 Canadian and U.S. fundraisers were surveyed about their use of technology. Find out what they had to say about growing contributions and how they described their software management platforms, communication channels, and payment acceptance methods.
The Blackbaud Index-Canada
(Apr. 16, 2014) Building on The Blackbaud Index, Blackbaud has now launched The Blackbaud Index-Canada to track charitable giving to the Canadian nonprofit sector, whichrepresents one of the country’s biggest industries.
What Canadian Donors Want: Information, Impact and to Help Those in Need
(Feb. 3, 2014) The 2013 What Canadian Donors Want Survey of more than 1,000 donors across Canada, found that more Canadians than ever are knowledgeable about charities and researching before they give, but many are not sure about the impact their gifts are having. Get a full breakdown of the survey, including six fact sheets on the various aspects of the survey in both English and French.
Ready Reference Guides Now Available in French
(Feb. 3, 2014) Attention French Canadian fundraisers: translation of AFP’s popular Ready Reference Series in underway. Four new guides have been posted with more on the way!
Canada Public Policy and Advocacy
Canada Anti-Spam Legislation Talking Points in English and French
(Aug. 20, 2014) Canada’s new (and complicated) Anti-Spam Legislation, which came into force on July 1, applies to commercial electronic messages that are either sent from, or accessed on, a computer system in Canada. AFP urges you to contact members of Parliament and Senators to exempt electronic communications sent by, or on behalf of, registered charities, or at least provide clear and consistent interpretations for registered charities. To help in these efforts, we’ve armed you with talking points in English and French!
New Canadian Budget Supports Online Charity Registration, Modernization of Lotteries
(Feb. 12, 2014) Budget 2014, introduced yesterday, including a number of measures impacting Canada's charities. Despite reports otherwise, there were no specific measures targeting the political activities of Canadian charities. There are, however, new provisions that will affect and enhance the way charities work—see a breakdown from AFP's government relation's consultant here.
New AFP Public Awareness Communications Tool Kit
(Feb. 3, 2014) When is the best time to make a call to a government official? What is the role of a Minister of State? How do you gain the respect of a parliamentarian? Find these answers and more in the new Public Awareness Communications tool kit, now available to all AFP Canada members.
Download English | Download French
Follow AFP Canada
Be sure to follow AFP Canada on Facebook, and be sure to use the hashtag #AFPCanada when posting to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Find Your AFP Canada Chapter
Most AFP members also belong to the nearest local chapter—the heart of AFP networking and mentoring. If you're not a member, use this feature to find a nearby chapter and get acquainted!
AFP AB, Calgary & Area Chapter
AFP AB, Central Alberta Chapter
AFP AB, Edmonton & Area Chapter
AFP AB, Southern Chapter
AFP BC, Okanagan Chapter
AFP BC, Vancouver Chapter
AFP BC, Vancouver Island Chapter
AFP MB, Manitoba Chapter
AFP NB, New Brunswick Chapter
AFP NF, Newfoundland & Labrador Chapter
AFP NS, Cape Breton Chapter
AFP NS, Nova Scotia Chapter
AFP ON, Canada South Chapter
AFP ON, Golden Horseshoe Chapter
AFP ON, Greater Toronto Chapter
AFP ON, Ottawa Chapter
AFP ON, South Eastern Ontario Chapter
AFP QC, Quebec Chapter
AFP SK, Regina Chapter
AFP SK, Saskatoon Chapter